Green Yoga Association is a non-profit organization and would appreciate your support in any way.
Here are some tips for Green Living:
Firstly, become aware of what you use. Monitor consumption of electricity, gas, and water. Pay attention to how much waste you generate. Challenge yourself to MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Follow the ‘R’s, Re-use , Re-duce, Re-cycle
Locate and Support your Local Environmental Group of choice. They are probably looking for support from someone just like you!
In the Bathroom:
- Conserve Water
- Brush your teeth and shave with the water off, only turning it on when you need to rinse
- Place a brick or something else bulky and heavy in the back basin of your toilet, it will displace water requiring less for flushing. You will also notice a little less water in the bowl with this method
- Take shorter showers, or shower with someone else!
- Many shower heads are now able to save you water without jeopardizing pressure…ask the local hardware store for help
- Get some nice Organic towels and bathmat
- Find out what´s in your soap and shampoo…and use and use organic or natural products
- Buy toilet paper made from recycled paper
- Replace just the head of your toothbrush, instead of the whole brush!
In the Kitchen
- Compost your food scraps. Many cities now take composting, or if that´s not available to you, ask your neighbor with a garden if they do.
- Buy Organic whenever possible
- Support local farmers markets
- Grow your own herbs and greens!
- Stop using toxic cleaners on your counters…you will eat them later…literally!
- Recycle plastic, glass & paper
- REUSE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
- Jars and containers…they make great travel accessories as well as closet organizers
- Food Bags…a little rinse and dry and they make great bags again!
- Grocery Bags…or even better yet, get several canvas bags for your shopping. Keep one in your car, one at home, one at the office and remember it when you go the store
- Get rid of Teflon…it’s bad stuff.
In the Bedroom:
Organic sheets are super cozy
In the Laundry Room:
- Use non toxic soap & detergent
- Stop using the dryer so much! Get a clothes line & let the sun & wind dry your clothes naturally, or a drying rack will do the trick.
In the Office:
- Use recycled paper products
- Put your computer on Hibernate when not in use to save on electricity
- Free yourself from junk mail. When a catalog comes in that you don’t want. Take a few mintues to call the 800 number on the back and tell them to take you off their mailing list. If they ask you why, tell them you are minimizing your impact on forests!
- TURN OFF ALL LIGHTS WHEN NOT IN USE
- Get your own reusable water bottle
- Take your own utensils with you instead of using plastic
- Check out low energy bulbs
- Get a timer or motion detector for all your lights
- Pick one day a week to not use your car!
- Unplug your cell phone charger when it's not charging your phone!
- Check out the movie An Inconveinient Truth
- Subscribe to Ideal Bite! They are a great resrouce and an entertaining and helpful way to be pro-active
Pass it on! Tell your friends these simple things they can do to make a difference.
Check out this video from Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot